With Canada Day behind us and the summer in full swing, it’s time to make the most of the sunny days and the warm temperatures and head out into the community to take advantage of activities and events. Here’s what is happening in Collingwood in August for you to come and join:
Music and Movement
August is a great month if you love to dance, sing, and go to concerts. Check out these musically motivated options:
- Celebrate female legendary singer-songwriter Carole King at a show called Tapestry in the Blue Mountain Village on August 1st.
- Symphony in the Barn, August 3rd – 5th, a festival featuring world class performances by the Symphony in the Barn Festival Chamber Orchestra of New York.
- Mosaic World Music Festival, August 4th-6th at Blue Mountain Village and Town.
- The Last Waltz, a free live music event offering lots of opportunities to sing and dance on August 15th at the Blue Mountain Village.
- From August 4th to September 15th, the street pianos will be back in Collingwood, marking the Keys to Collingwood
Look out Collingwood because the RibFest is coming! Taking place August 3rd – 6th at Millennium Park, four of North America’s best rib making teams are coming from Florida, Alabama, BC, and other areas of Ontario, to bring you the best ribs in town. Presented by the Ontario Festival Group, these pitmasters will be taking over the park, not only with ribs, but also in a complete festival great for the whole family: there will be other food, like poutine, cake and corn; cold beer; face painting and a jumping castle for the kids, and a Marketplace with local artisans. It is all taking place over the long weekend in August, with free parking, and a free concert, so be sure not to miss out! There will also be a RibFest taking place at Wasaga Beach from August 10th to 12th – just in case you miss the first one or want to come to both!
If you’re all about the RibFest because you are all about the meat, be sure also to take advantage of Charcuterie Tuesdays at Gustav’s Chophouse and Bar, featuring Chef Jeff Anderson’s Charcuterie Board. This will be happening beginning August 7th.
For the Kids
Let’s not forget about all the fun options for the kids in the last month before they head back to school. Here’s what you can expect:
- Fossil Find Sunday is taking place on August 5th from 1-2 pm starting at the Craigleith Heritage Depot. Join fossil experts as you dig for traces of ancient life!
- Wild Wonders will be coming to Blue Mountain Village on August 11th and 12th. Come enjoy some animal entertainment of free-flying birds of prey, reptile shows, live music, and street performers all with an animal flair!
- The Indigenous Life Festival presents a chance to teach the kids about the native people of Canada from August 24th to 26th. Free demos, interactive events, and lots more, suitable for the whole family.
Summer is here and it’s time to celebrate, so be sure to get your August calendar ready before the month comes and goes!