January is here and you can spend your time wallowing and complaining about snow, ice and cold and wondering why you live in the north, or you can take advantage of everything it has to offer. Snow squalls are definitely in the forecast in Collingwood this week (and definitely throughout the month), which could mean impacted travel plans, school and business closures and a lot of shovelling. Spend your snow days doing something fun in Collingwood!
1) Go skating! We’ve got some great indoor and outdoor rinks in the area and there is nothing more Canadian than lacing up the skates and heading for a frozen pond.
2) Make some snow cones or candy. A really fun tradition here in Canada is to make snow cones with real snow. It is incredibly easy and just requires Popsicle sticks, maple syrup and clean snow.
3) Go skiing. Anyone who lives in the area, already knows that skiing is important pastime in Collingwood. From beginners to more advanced skiers, our mountain offers the best in downhill and cross-country skiing.
4) Have an indoor picnic. Dreaming of summer? Turn on the fireplace and host a picnic on your living room floor. You won’t miss the bugs or the heat and the snowflakes falling outside your windows will give you some great scenery to look at.
5) Go winter caving. This adventurous pursuit is great for the entire family and gives you a break from the traditional activities of sledding and skiing. You’ll snowshoe to the caves, but then climb and crawl through them during this unique activity.
6) Build snow castles. You don’t need to be at the beach to take part in this fun activity. In fact, snow may mold just a little better than sand and you can do it inside or out, if you choose (and can contain the mess!).
7) Go swimming. Again, just because it’s cold outside, doesn’t mean it isn’t warm inside! There are a number of spots in the Collingwood area where you can swim with the family. Plunge! Aquatic Centre has pools, an indoor water playground and other fun. The Collingwood YMCA also has family swims and you don’t have to be a member.
8) Do a photo shoot. Take advantage of the beautiful and snowy Collingwood backdrop and take some photos of your family doing what they do best in the snow. Be sure to adjust your aperture for the white background (or photos will look grey). Summer isn’t the only time of year to get out and take pictures!
9) Borrow books from the library. You don’t even have to go outside for this one. While going to the Collingwood Public Library is always a treat, you can borrow ebooks right from your digital device at home.
10) Have a movie day. With our lives being incredibly busy with work, errands and extracurricular activities, we probably don’t take much time for rest. Spend an entire day watching movies with your family while it snows outside. You won’t regret it!