It’s August. Nothing is better, in our opinion, than taking a summer break from the daily grind. It’s a great time to catch up on travel and family, as well as enjoy some downtime on the couch or explore some open houses.
In terms of food, there are so many delicious treats that can be consumed in the summer months, and many of them don’t require any cooking at all. The best summer treats don’t have to be high in sugar, fat, or calories at all.
Our collection of the best foods for August is chock full of ingredients that help you cool down from August’s scorching heat.
- Cantaloupe: These melons are a great way to get your daily dose of vitamin C.
- Mangos: Similar to cantaloupe, mangoes are a refreshing and tasty way to get more Vitamin C in your diet.
- Strawberries: You can top off this delicious fruit with honey for a yummy treat that helps you stay cool all summer long. These berries are rich in antioxidants that can fight disease and keep your body strong.
- Kiwis: Kiwis are full of fiber, vitamin C, and potassium. Make sure you eat them before they get too soft in the heat.
- Blackberries: This berry is full of antioxidants that can help your body fight off free radicals that cause cancer.
- Grapefruit: Grapefruit is low in calories, yet high in nutrients. It is a good source of vitamin C, fiber, and pectin.
- Peaches: This fruit helps to reduce cholesterol because it is low in saturated fat as well as sodium.
- Apples: Apples can be excellent for your immune system. They can help keep your body healthy during the hot winter months.
- Cranberries: These are full of antioxidants that can help prevent cancer and heart disease.
- Avocado: Avocado is a summer favourite and one of the best foods for August because it is full of vitamins C and B that can help to lower high cholesterol. This food has more potassium than a banana and contains oleic acid.
- Onions: Whether raw or cooked, onions are rich in sulfur compounds that can help prevent long-term inflammation throughout the body.
- Asparagus: This delicious vegetable is a natural diuretic containing fiber, folate, and vitamins A, C, and K.
- Okra: Okra can be used in soups and stir-frys for a low-calorie, high fiber way to keep you hydrated.
- Tomatoes: The benefits of tomatoes include antioxidative effects and potential protection from cancer. Eating tomatoes can also help boost the immune system.
- Soybeans: These are great for cardiovascular health, which is beneficial in helping you fight against heart disease.
- Broccoli: This vegetable is beneficial in many ways and can help protect you against heart disease as well as some cancers.
Other Healthy Options
- Peanut Butter: Although peanut butter is high in fat, it has healthy fats that are beneficial for your health.
- Soy Milk: This milk is lower in calories than whole milk and has no saturated fat. It is also rich in calcium, which can protect you from osteoporosis.
- Dark Chocolate: This sweet treat does more for your body than just satisfy your craving for sweets. Dark chocolate is full of antioxidants and has been proven to lower blood pressure.
The final stretch of summer can be a great time to get out and enjoy the sunshine and any of the above healthy snacks!