While Collingwood is rich with beautiful scenery, fun shops and great recreational activities, we’ve also got a terrific arts scene. There are great theatre events located right in Collingwood, adding some culture to everything else there is to offer. These include everything from live theatre, music, film and lectures.
An intimate theatre featuring 100 seats, the Simcoe Street Theatre is located in the home of a former newspaper. They offer theatre events, live music, documentary screenings and it is also available for rent for artistic purposes. Some events coming up at the Simcoe Street Theatre include:
- RPR – folk/rock musicians
- A Celebration of Joni Mitchell
- Vertical Belles – a documentary film screening and live performance about aerial silks artistry
- The Wright Experience – live music
This jewel of Collingwood features 350 seats in the Centre for the Performing Arts right on Collingwood’s main street. With a Victorian feel and art deco appearance, it still boasts the most modern and high-tech amenities needed for a theatre in 2016. These include air conditioning, ample sound system and fantastic theatrical lighting. The Historic Gayety Theatre hosts performing arts events, along with concerts, speakers, film presentations, plus is available for rent for weddings, parties, conferences and more. Some of their upcoming events include:
- The Collingwood Cinema Club hosting a variety of movies
- Beach Party Boys & The Daydream Believers – two great shows
- Wichita Lineman – playing the music of Glen Campbell
Not an actual theatre, but a theatre company, Theatre Collingwood produces live theatre in the Georgian Triangle, including performances at the Historic Gayety Theatre, among others. They’ve got some great stay and play or dine and play packages, which give you discounts off of your food or hotel with your ticket stub. Their education program includes a Young Actor’s Company for kids aged 9 – 13. Check out the Learn & Play Lecture Series where you can learn about costume design and other aspects of the theatre. If you are an avid theatre goer, you can get a great deal on tickets by going to all five of their upcoming plays for only $200. Upcoming events for Theatre Collingwood include:
- The Art of Costume Design in Film – lecture series
- A Very Motown Gala – dinner, dance and auctions
- Spin – a theatrical and musical experience
- Stag & Doe – theatrical experience
You don’t have to drive south to the city to experience great theatre. Collingwood’s got it all right here. Talk to us for more information.